Sunday, October 18, 2009

Apologies

Recently there have been two stories in the news that have really gotten under my skin.

The first irk started when Republican Congressman Joe Wilson shouted during President Obama's health care speech, "You lie!" I have no doubt that Mr. Wilson disagreed with the President. He probably even felt strongly about his opinions. But what made him think it was okay to call out his boss like that. And in public. And on national television. What gets me was that he wasn't the only one voicing an opinion. Democrats got their feelings hurt and demanded an apology. Joe Wilson did so, of course, but it was no more than the typical, "I meant it, but I didn't mean to say it like that."

Incident number two involved Democrat Congressman Alan Grayson and his description of the Republican version of the health care plan. He said, “If you get sick, America, the Republican health care plan is this: Die quickly. That’s right. The Republicans want you to die quickly if you get sick.” And of course, the Republicans demanded an apology.

First, let me say, that if I attempted anything like the two individuals above did at my current job, I would be fired. It would be done quietly, not many people would know why, but I would be gone.

Second, on behalf of all Americans, can I request an apology from all those in Congress? Can we put aside the "He said, She said" nonsense, put aside what party you belong to, and just get to work making this country great. Everyone has a different opinion. But you were elected to make this country a better place and to help those in need of help.

[/end rant]

2 comments:

Myrnie said...

[/end rant] *giggle*

And yes. As a culture, we keep getting ruder and ruder. It's our RIGHT to speak our minds.

Actually, no it isn't. If no one asked you your opinion, pipe down! It's our right to do our work, not to tear down someone else's. Grr. :)

Jayson said...

Does that mean that I should have kept my mouth shut? :)